Hollywood Studios (CA) (Postcard History Series)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Just after the turn of the 20th century, the motion picture industry moved to the West Coast, and the largest land of make-believe was created in Hollywood, California. From the silent-era beginnings of primitive, open-air stages to the fabled back lots of the studios' heyday, Hollywood Studios presents a bygone era of magical moviemaking in rare postcards. Assembled from the author's private collection, these images from the Chaplin Studios to Metro-Goldwyn Mayer depict an insider's look back at the dream factories known as the Hollywood studios.
Durbin starred in 100 Men and A Girl for Universal. Henry Koster directed this vehicle with Joseph Valentine acting as cinematographer. Valentine’s personal light can be seen “camera right,” with his name on it, providing additional fill light to the scene. Valentine would go on to win the Academy Award for color cinematography in 1948 for Joan of Arc, which he shared with two other cameramen. JOE E. BROWN, WARNER BROTHERS. Joe E. Brown starred in Sons O’ Guns for Warner Brothers in 1936,
Blondeau’s Tavern and was converted to a motion picture studio by William Horsely and Al Christie. MORE CHRISTIE STUDIOS. This white-bordered postcard was made from a real photograph and shows Christie Studios in the early 1920s. Al Christie took over the studio in 1916 and produced Christie Comedies here until 1928. The studio was torn down in 1937, and in 1938, CBS and KNX News Radio began broadcasting at the site. (Published by M. Kashower.) CENTAUR FILM COMPANY. David Horsley and Al
The metal railing in the foreground exists to keep the visitors from getting too close. Behind the lions are the wild bird cages with wire mesh wrapped around the beams of the cage. PARKING LOT AND CAFETERIA. Laemmle Boulevard got a bit crowded with employee parking outside the main entrance to the lot. The studio cafeteria is in the bottom right of the photograph, and the post office is in the middle. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ENTRANCE. Here is the Laemmle Boulevard entrance to Universal Studios from
Corporation on November 19, 1916. By 1922, Goldwyn Pictures had been taken over by Marcus Loew. In this aerial view of the Goldwyn Studio, glass stages can be seen on the right-hand side of the card.The long strip of stages on the left-hand side of the card remain as stages 18, 19, and 20. (Published by M. Kashower.) ENTRANCE, GOLDWYN STUDIO. Here is a view of the entrance to the Goldwyn Studio from the early 1920s. With the merger of Metro Pictures, the Goldwyn Pictures Company, and Louis B.
bringing the total number of structures to 27. WARNER BROTHERS, FIRST NATIONAL PICTURES. In this 1935 aerial view of the Warner Brothers/First National Pictures lot, one can see the back lot sets erected at the top of the card. The original water tower location was next to the generator plant, located in the center of the card. (Published by E. C. Kropp Company.) MOVIE LOT—HOLLYWOOD. Warner Brothers’ enormous back lot in the late 1930s is seen in this view looking west towards the stages and